Although 80% of the world’s blindness is preventable, this still leaves a large number of people for whom loss of vision is an unavoidable reality. Al Mustafa Welfare Trust® seeks to address the main causes of avoidable blindness, in order to have the greatest possible impact on vision loss in the developing world.
- Every 5 seconds someone in the world goes blind and a child goes blind every minute
- Approximately 285 million people worldwide live with low vision and blindness
- 90% of the world’s visually impaired live in developing countries
- 39 million people are blind and 246 million have moderate or severe visual impairment
- 80% of the world’s blindness is preventable